This blog is not intended to create controversy with other martial arts systems that speak of the dominance of their systems. However, Kosho-Ryu and Kajukenbo are known as multi-faceted martial arts. Kosho-Ryu and Kajukenbo practitioners are taught to fight equally effectively on their feet as on the ground.
We all understand that a street fight is a pure chaos, and this episode of Fight Quest shows the effectiveness of Kajukenbo in dealing with multiple attackers. I would say the episode is probably still the most-watched episode of Fight Quest ever produced. Fight Quest was a show that aired on Discovery Channel a few years back.
This show was hosted by two martial artists and pro fighters who traveled all over the world training in different martial arts.
When they traveled to San Francisco California to train with Kajukenbo instructors, things got a little as we like to say “Kaju rough”.
Please know the training you will see in this episode is way more extreme than you will typically do in our classes. However, for those who want this level of training, I will have special classes to accommodate you (this is the way Grand Masters Tony and Tim Bowles) trained me.
The two hosts, due to their background, were able to experience a level of intensity usually reserved for more advanced students, like the higher-level green belt intensity in Kajukenbo. This is not beginner-level training!
Nevertheless, these two guys got put through the wringer on this show with no Kajukenbo experience, and here’s why. The Kajukenbo instructors they chose for this episode knew they were presenting Kajukenbo to the world. Think about it; would you show weakness or mercy on international television. Fortunately, we live in a great country. However, people are under threat of being attacked at work, malls, schools, movie theaters, or enjoying a marathon, 24/7/365?
The training Jimmy and Doug go through seems a little over the top (okay, flat out crazy), that is why I like to watch this video because it reminds me of how unpredictable this world is and how Kajukenbo has adapted so people can protect themselves.
Watching shows like this is why I know I can rely on my Kajukenbo/Kosho-Ryu training when it counts.
My teacher Grand Master Tony Bowles (left) learned Kosho-Ryu from both theÂ Reverend James Mitose and Soke Thomas Mitose. The James Martial Arts Academy students are learning authentic Kosho-Ryu.
I have difficulty concentrating on her homework? Do you find your son or daughter with a dreamy look on his face when he/she is supposed to be studying? Kids are beginning to explore the world around them. They are learning to think and analyze the cause and effect.
Things that may seem routine to the adult eye are new and excellent for children. Therefore, they tend to become distracted by the things and happenings around them. Parents have long turned to martial arts training programs like Karate, Kosho-Ryu, and Kajukenbo to improve their children’s focus and concentration. At James Martial Arts Academy, we teach parents that there are several things you can do to aid your child in achieving better concentration levels.
– Set a schedule. Set aside a specific time for waking up, having breakfast, going to school, playtime, study time, and dinner. Once your child establishes a routine, he will find it easier to concentrate on his work because he knows that this is the time you have allotted for work and nothing else.
– Ensure that the room in which your child sits down to study and do his homework is one where there is no distraction. Let him read aloud if he feels it will help him from becoming distracted.
– Don’t let younger siblings, particularly infants, play near the room where your school-going child studies. Their cries and infant babble may be a big distraction for your child.
– Look up your child’s topic and capture his interest by sharing interesting and informative facts.
– Make dull subjects fun by playing quizzes and memory games.
– If your child feels sleepy or hungry, he may not be able to concentrate well, so make sure he is hungry or tired.
– Sometimes, children tend to lose interest in a particular subject when they fail at it. Encourage your child to persevere. For this, you need to show him or her that you have full faith in his capabilities and that you will help him in any way you can.
– If your child needs additional help, offer to help him out or arrange for tuition. Once he begins to comprehend and master the subject, he will start to concentrate on his work.
– It is a fantastic idea to let your child study and his peers who are good academic performers. By doing this, your son or daughter can pick up tips and concepts from their friends.
– Be patient when you deal with your child. Yelling at them or scolding them when you find them distracted will only serve to frustrate him.
– Let your child take short breaks while studying. This will help your child to refresh his mind and memory. Let him take a 10-minute break after 1 or 2 hours of studying.
Many activities can help to enhance your child’s concentration.
Here are a few:
– Board games and card games call for concentration, and engaging in them will improve your child’s concentration levels.
– Read a story to your child and ask him questions related to it. This will help sharpen his memory too.
– Ask your daughter or son about their day. This way, he or she will attempt to recall their day’s events and actions, improving their memory and concentration.
– Count numbers or their multiples and skip one or two in between. Ask your child to find the skipped number.
– Strange as it sounds, tongue twisters also help enhance concentration. Your child has to listen with great attention to decipher the tongue twister you say. This will teach him to concentrate.
Lack of concentration is certainly not a problem that is difficult to solve. These few tips should help you assist your child in overcoming the problem of low concentration levels and sharpening his memory and studying skills.
The Karate, Kosho-Ryu, and Kajukenbo training programs at James Martial Arts Academy studio provide parents with excellent support in developing happy, healthy, confident kids with a remarkably positive winning attitude. Whether parents are looking for help with focus, confidence, self-esteem, fitness, self-defense, or character development, parents will find martial arts training a great aid in achieving their parenting goals.